Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My theory of being homeless

Since long time already I am jocking that I am homeless. And I really believe it. How do I understand this term "homeless"? Thats the person who doesn't have home and is sleeping in different shelters or in the fresh air. For me being homeless is the situation when you have hause, or some place in any building but you don't have home.

Am I homeless?
you can judge it yourself.

Starting from my sleeping place - well I have place to sleep, I have my bed, I have even my "own room". This place where I am sleeping quite often has one bed, one window, one desk, few closets. You can find there a lot of papers on the floor (my study materials), cloths mostly laying somewhere on the floor too. Wardrobe is always open, and cloths are hanging in it. I would say that I am using only things which are on the floor, rest... well I have no idea where is what. In all the closets you can find some wired toys from my childhood, cloths from times when I was 120 cm and much smaller, and some things which are only taking place. I dont remember when I lastly done my bed. I even don't have any sheet, and I am sleeping under the blanket.

How much time do I spend there in my "house"

I am working, studying, doing some voluntary work, organizing different stuff, answering a lot of phone calls, travelling - let's say I don't have time for anything. My typical day looks like that I am going out at 7am, at 8 I am already in the office, I am starting my day in the office from make-up and then breakfest. I am finishing my work at 4 pm. "Finishing" ! because usually I am staying there much longer. Mostly in the evening I have some meetings (either working in the bar on new project, either organizing film festival or simply I just want to dring a beer). Because my "place for sleeping" is quite far from everywhere. Because of that it is not worth to come back to this place during the day... and sometimes during nights too.

Places for sleeping

My motto is "you can sleep everywhere". This is very practical, especially if you normally don't have a lot of time for sleeping. In past few years I follow my motto. Quite often I used my friends flats, then of course offices (different kind of), university (I can recommand staircase), train stations (including Wrocław PKP), airports (in Amsterdam they have even beds), parks, bars, cinema and many others.

There are two my favourite places: first one it was really nice park in the city center of Lubljana. We hitch-hike with few friends over there, very spontaniusly and we didn't have any place. We bought some alkohol to warm up, we went to see nice concert and then we went around the city to find a nice place to spleep. And we found it. It was very nice park, and we were sleeping under the tree which was almost like a tent. Just in the morning there was a lot of people with dogs going around us:)

Second place it was cinema. It was kind of exciting because we broke in to the cinema. It was during film festival, and we were renting cinema - so it was not so illegal, we had keys, but I am not sure if we could be there. Well got into the place, it was not easy to force the door (even when we had keys), but finally we manage, just w couldn't close doors. Just in the morning people in the cinema were quite shocked.

Travelling

In my room in the corner there is a backpack. Still there are some cloths inside. I have also beautician already packed. It looks like this because I am travelling a lot. Sometimes I can go in 3 different places during one month. I already wrote how exhausting it might be, but also there are once more a lot of places to live, new roomates. Right now I am preparing myself for leaving in one place for 4 months! (of course abroad) and I think it is long enough to prepare a cosy place... what can I take to my new room?

Ending

I don't know if you also think that I am homeless, I feel like that. Sometimes I am dreaming to have place and time to make some cosy place, to invite friends over, organize party or just chill out. Maybe someday I will find this place...

Best practicies

If you are planing the life like that, always on the way, always in hurry remember about some important things.

1. Always have tooth-brush in every bag (you never know when you will need it, and bags you are changing quite often);
2. Buy a small and light laptop - you never know which data you will need, having laptop always with you is very useful;
3. You have to feel good, if you feel like stinking find place where you can take a shower - don't be shy, you can always call your friends, it wont be a problem if you will use a bit of theis shampoon
4. If you need clean cloths borrow or buy them:)

wish you all the best...

No comments: