Sunday, June 15, 2008

elevator night

One of the purpose why I have started writing this blog is "save memories" mostly from my travels (I think that this word "travel" will appear in this blog quite often). I still haven't decided if I want to share those "saved moments" with my friends or not, we will see. Besides those moments are important for me, I will not say that they changed my life, but they were somehow enriching, funny, unforgettable and simply worth remember and sometimes come back to them.

One of those moments I would live to save is "elevator night" - the name was created just after "the moment" by it's participants. But let's start from the very beginning. I would say "elevator night" has started in the place called "beer garden" in Amman, Jordan. I was spending some amazing time over there with my friends. I enjoyed that evening because I have spent time with people I really wanted to spend time with, I had few interesting conversation for example about implementing communism in Palestine, I have found other traveller (pilot) with whom I was talking about our best journeys and I was helping him with bottle of vodka, ordered just for him. In gerenal, very nice evening.

We were coming back home as the last ones. I think we were around 12 people, all willing to continue the party. Because in Amman everything was already closed, we decided to move to hotel, to room number 309. We arrived to hotel, got out from the car and get into the elevator in order to continue party on the 3rd floor...
in the elevator
Door closed, elevator moved, then the information to which floor we are going, disappeared and we stucked in the elevator. I am trying to remind myself reaction of people. There was no panic in the very beginning, just all started screaming and calling to ensure that someone will take care about us. Fastly we came up with en idea to open the door to get more air. Ehab, guy from Palestine was communicating, rest was patient - very racional reaction.

Somehow the atmosphere wasn't that nice. In the beginning we was starting hugging and cooperating, but then there was rather feeling of stress around. I was hiding quite often and laughing a bit and I have seen a lot of people wanted, but "society" didn't accept such a behaviour, so we didn't. We were serious.

The crutial moment was when one person fainted. That moment I realized that situation might be somehow serious, but I was not afraid: from one side one guy explained how lifts are build and there is no way that something would happened, from the second hand we had 2 doctors with our.

I was very surprised with reaction of many people. One girl told that she will call her parents after getting out, and she was afraid that we might not get out, one guy was about to faine too, someone wanted just jug someone else.

In the meantime someone came to us. They were trying to lift elevator to the first floor, then put it down to the ground floor; sometimes light was disappearing.  Finally something had happened. Someone jumpped on the elevator and remove the ceiling. It was almost like in the movie "Die Hard". There were firemens and Jordanian Civil Defense forces telling: "give us hands, give us hands", and they were taking one by one out of the elevator. It this moment I gos scared. I really didn't want to go that way, I was thinking, maybe to wait until they will fix the lift. But finally my friends lifted me, then I catch someone's hands and went up. When I was standing on elevator there was not so much climbing anymore, I don't remember exackly how far was that, but far enough to get totally dirty.

When we got out finally - everyone was hugging us, supporting, like after the huge tragedy. There were firemans, jordanian civil defence forces, ambulance and even psychologist! Someone asked me if I am ok, I said: yes, they put something on my finger and said: "yes, you are fine". I didn't want to be over there. Someone was crying, people were in so bad moods, and I was just afraid what have we done! We were to much in this elevator.

But fun started in front of the hotel. We were taking photos with ambulance and with each other; we were just sitting and chilling out, that's what we really needed.
elevator group
Night ended finally in 309, where we planned to go in the very beginning. Whole night we were sitting, chatting listening to music; being honets it was amazing time, and so integrating for us. We had to fight with our fears together, we needed to cooperate and be helpful for others. This episode change the whole project. We become elevator group hanging around together.

What was interesting: in the elevator there was 10 people, we had gender balance, but within this 10 people 5 of them were Poles!

No comments: