Saturday, August 2, 2008

Egyptian boyfriend

hmmm... how to start, I want to write about my observation done during my "touristic" stay in Egypt.

Do you remember very old movie called "dirty dancing"? It was about a girl who went to summer resort for her holidays and fall in love with guy from stuff, in the background you can observe other girls, who were flirting with guys from stuff as well. For some of them it was the main aim of the holidays.

I was staying in the hotel in Hurghada just few days and still I do not know how to understand that, but I had the impression that all the people from stuff were flirting with me. I may find few reasons of this behaviour:
1) it is a hotel policy to flirt with guests as much as possible to make them leave with "amazing memories" and come back next year (lets call it PR purpose)
2) they just want to be nice, and saying to guests "e ya moza", "hello, how was your day" all the time, and trying to talk with you as much as possible it's part of they culture
3) they are counting for a cheap affair or fall in love
4) they think that girls are expecting summer romance with egyptian guy

How it looked like in my hotel in Hurghada


Besides a lot of people saying you all the time "hello, how you doing" there was few other people which I memorized very well (either as funny or very anoying).
For example two guys who were cleaning rooms. After we come back to Hurghada thay have noticed that we was not there, they asked as for our names, and they were remembering them! Also guys who were sitting on the corridor (i dont knwo why) they were all the time starting the discussin with me, but if you are quite often going from and to your room it starts to be anoying to say all the time hello, and they have a lot of questions prepared, smiling and flirting all the time. The some during meals. I was wondering why waiter was coming to me and saying that I look tired, or asking also some personal questions.
That was not os offensive, but I really had the impression that a lot of them were counting on something. Or maybe they were just bored with their job.

Improper behaviour


But some the behaviours were not accaptable at all. Once I was sitting after the dinner with my two egyptian friends next tot he pool. Suddenly I have heard "E ya mozza" what means "hola guapa". I know that sentence because I was overusing it when I was in Jordan, but only towards friends. It was the first time when I have heard that in Egypt to I started laughing so much. They guy got embaressed and run away. Afterwards he came to one on my friends and asked if I did understand that. He was so sorry. I didn't mind until it happened again. Then I answered that it was totally not professional and as a stuff he shouldn't behave like this. He was trying to shirk, but I was in the bad mood and I complain about that in the end of my stay.
But it was not the worsed. First 2 days we were in Hurghada with our egyptian friends. Guys who were sitting on corridor noticed that and started commenting. Once (after they kick them out of the hotel) they asked me where they are and said that we should "use the room", can you imagine?

Mixed cupples


I think I was the only person who didn't enjoy that. The whole Hurghada looked like dating spot for Easter European girls with Egyptian guys. While walking down the street in downtown you can see a lot of white girls in arms of Egyptians. It looked like picture of the perfect "summer love".

...Summer love or more...

Are the relationships between girl-tourist and guy-local only the summer flirt? Does it have a future? Staying just 2 days in Hurghada I got to know few love stories.

1. Diving instructor got merried with polish girl. They were living in Poland, but as he said they are not together any more because of her family who didn't accept him. (he was not typical Egyptian, with long hair, looked like rasta who is smoking weede all the time)
2. Waiter in one bar, who fall in love in the Slovak girl and was afraid that he will not get visa to visit her in Slovakia

I am sure that there was a lot of that kind of stories. Love stories. Asking why? Maybe you should see typical polish boyfriend :))) I do not give them big chances. I think I don't believe in the summer love. I think it is more about finding some attractions and experience something exotic.

Why I think that?
Conversation between 2 polish tourists in the bus to plane coming back home:
Girl1: Did you like your holidays?
Girl2: Yes, Hurghada is amazing. Let say I have met native (local inhabitant) [smile] you know what I mean, maybe I will come here next year.


4 comments:

Soyun Park said...

"I think it is more about finding some attractions and experience something exotic."
I think that is so true. That's the beauty of summer vacation.
Soyun.

Anonymous said...

sounds like greek summer :)

Karell said...

To be honest with you sweety your analysis is perfectly correct. It sounds a lot like what you can find all over the mediterranean, I am French and Mediterranean myself and the guys in my country repulse me from just this. And this has nothing to do with white or black or brown or arab for in egypt they barely respect their own women, so forget the foreign girls... its about being foreign especially whether arab and muslim or not. You will never be egyptian no matter how hard you try for them. However it was not long before, I, too fell in lvoe with Egypt while i was working there and visiting friends in Cairo. I had been back just when my egyptian boyfriend dumped me. I was never well treated, but love blinds you to the point where you wonder how could he have changed so fast ! changed ? never ! he was always like this only you never listened to the wise advices given to you by your veiled friends, knowing exactly what they are talking about, or even your male friends telling you they "know him..." Its been a year and i have yet to recover. So i have a thought for all those pretty polish russian greek sudanese irish..etc girls out there who really think they ll get osme romance out of an egyptian. I advise that you let him do all the work and remain cold-headed.

MC said...

I have an Egyptian boyfriend, and was for sure hesitant before I jumped into the relationship. He's from Alexandria and he came to the states to receive his Masters degree. I had even told him since day one that I knew his intentions were not of the best intent..and that.. just led him on even more. Like a mother fucking moth to a flame. I'm wondering if this is typical of all men?

Anyway- we've been in a relationship for about 7 months now, it's getting more serious. His visa expires in March- which means a lot of different things. What I think it means is... He's likely to keep having a good time until march and he leaves the country. SO...rather than feeling like I'm going to be abandoned, I'm going to play along as well. Life is short- enjoy the relationship while it lasts...and when its over..well, Who Cares...Men come and go.