Thursday, September 18, 2008

The role of possession

Since some time I am asking myself if it is really important what kind of car I drive, where I am buying my cloths, what type of mobile I have? Is it really like this that our social status is based on this? Are the material objects more important then feelings, moments, friends ect...

For me it is obvious that no! In my opinion it is important who this person is not what s/he has! I can buy stuff in second hands, take the bus or sometimes bike to go to my job, sleep somewhere on the floor instead of going to expensive hotel. That is for me "normal" - somehow some might say that this is kind of fad, style of life which is jazzy, maybe but for me that is normal, that is how I feel, what's more - I found it very negative attitude to think about possession.

What I observed lastly is that in some places (I am thinking here about Ukraine and Arab countries) people are overpaying attention to "possession"; my impression is that they are doing a lot to have as highest social status as possible. Well yes everything is around social status!

Let me give an example: 2 months ago I was sitting in the kitchen of my organization with guy from Latvia and girl from Egypt. Their were talking about their habits. He was explaining why he hitch-hike to Poland, she was asking - but it take so long, why? He was explaining why it is not so good to take shower to often, and she couldn't believe; he was telling about his attitude to consumerism and throwing out things, and she was asking where is the closest H&M store. This situation and many next once showed me how far we are (Europeans and Arabs) in issue of possession.

When I went to Arab countries I had the impression that people are concentrating how they looks like; all the time nice hair, good cloths, no way to go in pyjama to the breakfast! On the streets they were paying so much attention to cars, I cannot believe that someone might want to take the photo with car! And they did and me with them (btw that was cultural shock for me). What surprised me even more, they knew all the models of cars! I could see there also the americanization of way of life. Well, I have found there all types of behaviour which you can find in stupid american movies about teenagers.

I think that the point is what is our perception of social status. I think that who you are in eyes of others is very important. The aim of life is to increase your social status, be someone (read: position and possession = power). And that was the most difficult for me - I had the feeling that people are judging everyone, including me. I was feeling judge for this how I behaive, what I wear, who I am. It was difficult to be judge for 2 weeks, and I cannot imagine what kind of feeling it is to be judge for whole life.


I know that what is cool for me (green life style) for people from Arab countries is socially unacceptable. What is socially expected is to earn money, have a good job, own something (possession). Even I know examples that people who do not possess enough they cannot get married! And here is a gap, and here is I think the reason why the role of possession is so high. Somehow I can understand that, but for me it is not normal.

No comments: