Saturday, February 7, 2009

Studying in USA - FINALS

Once more I will say that the life at Hendrix College was totally different then in Poland, especially during finals. I remember from Poland that during finals I couldn’t sleep, I was studying days and nights, fighting with professors to let you even try to pass something. A lot of coffee, a lot of energizing drinks, tons on papers on the floor of your room, and I was getting crazy about all of this.

At Hendrix it was different. At first we didn't have that much to study and somehow I was better prepared! And come one, I didn't have to memorize 100 clasifications, which are almost the same:)

I took it easy, maybe I wasn't prepared the best I could, maybe I don't have only “A’s” from all my classes, but I have learnt a lot more the usually, and had a lot of fun!

1. Finals I had

All together I had three exams out of my four classes and papers to write. Everything was rather easy. Usually I had exams only from a small part of material covered during the semester. It was like this in class “American Parties and Elections”, the test was for 30 minutes and you had to identify and describe 10 terms. In one class I even didn’t have exam, just one paper to submit. This paper was done few minutes before deadline, and night before I was preparing Glueh Wein for my friends
There was one exam a bit more difficult, and much longer. We had test, few open questions and one essey to write. And I am damm bad in writing! But my biggest problem was that I had to go to the restroom! So I was writing this essey as fast as possible, and I was one of the firsts who done it. Then I looked on other people and what shocked me was – people had laptops with them – OPEN! They were going to toilets all the time. That is what would never happened in Poland. All of this might be considered as cheating, and of course all people would cheat!


2. Hendrix specials

I was afraid that my last days at Hendrix I will send alone while everybody else will be studying, and parties during finals won’t be possible. And it was much more quiet, in dorms they had early silent hours (also during weekends). Even during our last party in the last day, we were kindly aks to shut up.

But there are few traditions as Hendrix during the final week, which were surprising for me, but I enjoy it.

First was famous “Martin Run” (Martin it is a name of one of the men’s dorm). One of my friend from this hall told me to be in the library at 10 pm. He didn’t want to tell me what for, but I got to know I will enjoy it. So I went there.
Library which was usually quiet place, was this time laud, full of people smiling to each other, and waiting for something. They were not studying rather gathering together waiting for a show. The show started at 10.10pm. At first the brave group of Martin guys went to the toilet in the first floor, there they took off the cloths and put the boxes on their heads (not to be recognized). Then they started running around library complately nacked; some of them had green faces painetd on their asses!






The second even took place also in the library. This time it was not a secret, almost everyone got to know about it (mostly thanks to facebook and standart gossips). It was the library flash mob Rave, as a form of study break.







3. Party time

Someone may say that finals it is a study time. I will agree, but only partly! Maybe there was no big crazy parties, but for me it was one of the best times at Hendrix. There was no difference between day and night, we just wanted to have fun. So we had Christmas party, we were chilling out listening to a good music, watching movies in the middle of the night, I had friends sleeping oven in my place, we had Gluehwein party, we were creating drinking games with my roomates, walking around the campus at 3 am because of snow, and finally we were drinking just before exams.
Once I was studying in the library for exam, which I should have next morning. One of my friend who was also studying gave the idea, why not to have one drink before going to sleep. So around midnight we went to my place, and the time passed by, I remember that we involved my roomate into same serious discussions (she had exam next morning as well). I think that around 4 am we decided to be responssible:)
I think that Finals it was this time, when I had kind of parties everyday. I was very happy person then, and sad that I am going home soon.

No comments: